We have seen the meteoric rise of food delivery apps in India. There is a distinction between the types of food delivery apps. Largely, there are two types. Most online food delivery apps act as a platform that provides users to different restaurants in their location on the app. Typical examples would be Swiggy and Zomato. The other type is where the brand gives the food directly from their portfolio. Typical examples would be Freshmenu. Both have their unique features. The platform oriented apps generally give a wide variety compared to the individual brands.
Let’s talk statistics for a minute. In the global scheme of things, India is only third behind the US and China in this sector. The youth of India aged between 25-25 are the major users. Some of the key driving growth factors are the smartphone boom, internet penetration, urban tech developments amongst others. This space is seeing a 15% growth per quarter in India. No wonder we’re seeing tech advancement and newer players coming in the mix.
Most of the apps in the Food Tech space are located in the urban centres. Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai remain the major locations of service. However, we are seeing a trend in expansion in the untapped tier 2 cities as well. Recently, Swiggy has been on a rampage to spread their operations targeting tier 2 cities. This move comes with its own set of barriers such as language, usability, and so on. However, the scope for growth is immense and only the brave to attempt will conquer this growth battle.
Now, let’s get to the top apps in India. Here are the top 5 apps in the Food Tech space…
- Swiggy: Available both on Android and IoS. Swiggy is one of the topmost rated apps in India. It caters the best hotels and restaurants near the user’ location. They have tied up with virtually every restaurant. Its unique feature of no-minimum order has captured the hearts of Indians. The sheer scale and plethora of options contribute to bagging the first place in our list. What’s further, their expansion to tier 2 cities has enabled them to create a brand unlike any other. With over 10,000,000 downloads on the play store, it is the No.1 online food delivery app in India and deserves its place to be at the top!
- Zomato Order: Available both on Android and IoS. Zomato order comes from its popular parent restaurant finder app. This is an online food ordering platform that connects major restaurants to users. The initial massive surge has made it the biggest rival to Swiggy after its launch. This rivalry has caused a disruption in the food tech space.
- Uber Eats: Available both on Android and IOS, is a venture of the popular taxi service platform Uber. UberEats is a popular online food ordering service that caters to mostly the metropolitan cities in India including Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and more.
- Dominos: is a prominent pizza delivering platform in India. Previously, it provided only a telephone call order service. Now it has bumped up its service by giving users the power from their mobiles.
- Freshmenu: is a unique online-only food delivery startup based out of Bangalore, India. Their tailor-made recipes change and give users something fresh every day. They have seen massive growth. They have managed to stand tall in the midst of the chaos. Their constant evolution has played a major contribution to their meteoric rise in the Food-Tech space. Good on you Freshmenu!
Get them all on AppBrowzer
Imagine getting all this in one app. Wait, that’s impossible! Not anymore, the Bengaluru based tech startup has created a revolutionary all-in-one app that integrates multiple apps in one app. Their CTO and Co-Founder says “We’re striving to develop the next-generation apps for the smartphone”. Through their unique ‘Smart Apps’, all the popular categories namely shopping, social media, news, and in this case food club all the top apps in one place.
The simple swipe features allow users to get access to all the top apps in each category. Now you get rid of all the clutter and get AppBrowzer. With over 100,000 installs and over 4.5 rating, the app is available for download on the play store. You can check out their blog as well for regular bites of news and the latest trend in app technology.